Friday, December 30, 2005

Kira- Kira by Cynthia Kadohata

This book was the Newbery Medal Winner: for the most distingusted contribution to American Literature for children.

Kira- Kira ( kee'ra kee'ra): glittering; shining

It is beautifully written, heartbreaking and touching.

The language is truly simple, yet the sceneries, emotions and sounds are vividly described. I believed this is the magic of this book. I could easily conjure the images in my head, feel the characters and listen to the voices.

Outline of the story: A Japanese family struggled to meet end needs in a colour coded America town where they just moved in. The main character is a 12 year old girl. She described the changes in her family and how they coped when her elder sister whom she very closed to, suddenly fell sick and eventually died.

The story is so innocent and full of childish enjoyment/amazement such as throwing Kleenex tissue papers from the roof top because they would fluff up like graceful butterflies or staring at myraids of stars. Of course, they do not live in laa-laa land all the time. They face the harsh realities of life.

Every characters are bounded by Love. Her parents had to work round the clock to pay the enormous house mortage and the snow- balled medical bill. The main character had to juggle her time to take care of her younger brother, did household chores and homework. On top of these, she had to take care of her sickly sister. Then one fine night, she broke down. In an uncontrollable emtional outburst, she and her dying elder sister screamed " I hate you!" to each other. Just a few hours before the sister died. It was heart wrenching. The family moved to another state, to move on with life and move away from the place of sadness.

I sobbed and blowed my nose, even when I am half way through the book.

Rating: 4/5

I would certainly encourage all to read this book. However, it might be a bore for hard-core fans of Stephen King, Dan Brown, John Grisham or Micheal Crichton.

Surprisingly, the pretty cover or the prominent " Newbery Medal Winner" did not catch my attention. Instead it is the bold, bright 20% discount sticker.

I admitted it was quite rash of me to just grap a book like this. Then again, I was in a hurry and had a tight budget. That day, 27 Dec 2005, I bought The Chronicles of Narnia, Autobiography of a Geisha ( yes, another book on geisha) and Kira- Kira. Get my point now? I have The Chronicles of Narnia to finish before the semester starts.

P.S FINALLY, I completed The Da Vinci Code. Though Dan Brown posted a few interested points, I found the book quite crappy, as in lots of nonsenses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home